The OAMRS Enhanced Practice Certificate: Bone Mineral Densitometry (BMD) for Medical Radiation Technologists (MRTs) course is composed of two portions – practical and didactic. This portion of the course makes up the practical component where you will practise your skills. The didactic component of the course must be completed prior to registering for the practical component. Once both items are successfully completed, the Enhanced Practice Certificate will be issued.
Course at a Glance
Learning Hours: This course has been designed for you to work at your own pace and there are no formal hours identified. To complete your course in a timely manner, it is recommended that you set learning goals and schedule time to complete your studies. We suggest creating a simple chart to help you establish a plan for completion of the course. The chart is not a course requirement; however, it can help you stay organized and also act as a means to log your time to help keep track of your learning hours for professional development activity requirements.
Type of Learning: Online
Prerequisites: Successful completion of the Enhanced Practice Certificate: Bone Mineral Densitometry (BMD) for Medical Radiation Technologists (MRTs) (Didactic Portion) course. To succeed in this course, the technologist must:
- Have completed an accredited MRT program and be certified to practise as an MRT in Canada
- Be a member of a regulatory College or professional association with regulatory authority (where applicable)
- Carry personal professional liability insurance (PLI)
- Be employed in a diagnostic imaging or nuclear medicine department (or clinic) with access to densitometry scanning equipment
- Foster inter-professional collaboration with other allied healthcare professionals in providing clinical services
Accreditation: To receive the full OAMRS Enhanced Practice Certificate, the technologist must first successfully complete the didactic component and then proceed to successfully complete the practical component of the course as well.
- Successfully complete a minimum of 100 BMD scans under the supervision of an MRT certified in BMD and provide proof of scans along with a corroborating letter from a reporting Radiologist
- Successfully meet the established requirements on a practical clinical competency assessment, as assessed by a BMD-certified MRT approved by OAMRS.
Each learner will be assessed in the following areas:
- Use of equipment
- Welcoming patient
- Exam preparation
- Position spine correctly
- Position hip correctly
- Position forearm correctly
- Spine analysis
- Hip analysis
- Forearm analysis
- Perform data archiving and back up
- Perform disk defragmentation (as required)
Who Should Take This Course
Practising MRTs who would like to receive the full OAMRS Enhanced Practice Certificate: Bone Mineral Densitometry for MRTs and have completed the didactic component of the course.
The course includes:
- Course Syllabus
- Competency Profile
- Assessor Validation
- 100 Scan Completion
- Practical Evaluation
- Ontario Association of Medical Radiation Sciences
Discounted member price:
You could save: