The OAMRS Enhanced Practice Certificate: Intravenous Contrast Injection (Didactic Component) course is the theoretical portion of the two-part IV Contrast Injection course for DMSs and MRTs. This portion summarizes the key concepts of various intravenous contrast media within medical imaging and radiation therapy departments, including radiographic (CT), MRI contrast agents and ultrasound contrast used in echocardiography. It includes an overview of the actions, reactions and the pharmacodynamics of contrast media, emergency measures and medications required to deal with adverse reactions, as well as venous anatomy and principles of safe IV injections.
Course at a Glance
Learning Hours: This course has been designed for you to work at your own pace and there are no formal hours identified. To complete your course in a timely manner, it is recommended that you set learning goals and schedule time to complete your studies. We suggest creating a simple chart to help you establish a plan for completion of the course. The chart is not a course requirement; however, it can help you stay organized and also act as a means to log your time to help keep track of your learning hours for professional development activity requirements.
Type of Learning: Online
Prerequisites: To succeed in the course, the learner must:
- Have completed an accredited program in Medical Radiation Technology, Sonography, or other allied health program and is certified to practise in Canada
- Be a member of a regulatory College or professional association with regulatory authority (where applicable)
- Carry personal professional liability insurance (PLI)
- Is employed in a Diagnostic Imaging or Radiation Therapy department (or clinic)
- Foster inter-professional collaboration with other allied healthcare professionals in providing clinical services
Accreditation: To receive the full OAMRS Enhanced Practice Certificate, the learner must successfully complete the didactic component and then proceed to successfully complete the practical component of the course as well.
Completion Requirement: A comprehensive online exam will be administered upon completion of all modules of study. The minimum acceptable passing grade is 75%.
Who Should Take This Course
Practising MRTs who would like to take the first step towards receiving the full OAMRS Enhanced Practice Certificate: Bone Mineral Densitometry for MRTs.
The course includes:
- Course Syllabus
- Competency Profile
- Module 1: Contrast Media
- Module 2: Anatomy
- Module 3: Drug Administration
- Module 4: Emergency Response and Reactions
- Final Exam
- Ontario Association of Medical Radiation Sciences
Discounted member price:
You could save: